Raonic advances; Shapovalov, Auger-Aliassime fall enhances at {Rogers Cup}


TORONTO - Denis Shapovalov and Felix Auger-Aliassime left to  the noisy clapping of a jam-packed huge take a position on the Rogers Cup on Thursday evening.

He took a couple of warm-up photos, smile at one another, then gently experienced off against two of the top people.

While the Northern America youngsters came up brief, dropping 6-3, 6-2 in the 1st-attack enhances coordinate against 2018 Wimbled champion Novak Djokovic and runner-up Kevin Anderson, the reputation jostled them of their competitors.

"Our activity was there, we didn't experience anxious the least bit," told the 19-year-old Shapovalov of Richmond Mountain, Ont.

"Just to have an opportunity to try out with these people is already excellent," included Auger-Aliassime, a Montreal local who won't convert 18 until later recently.






Djokovic and Anderson beaten the teenagers handedly in a coordinate that was delayed while rain fall disturbed manufactured agenda for nearly three time. Moments after the teenagers' reduction, Canada's Milo's Raonic cause Bob Goffin of The country 6-3, 6-4 on center judge to relocate to the second circular of the single men and women attract.

Rainfall shifted into the place of the are able to School university merely when 3 p.m. ET, disturbing three suits and resulting somewhere modify from center judge to the huge show Shapovalov and Auger-Aliassime.

Doubles associates on the younger routine decades ago and wild-card records for this week's competition, the two began the coordinate powerful in front Djokovic and Anderson called for management.

They split Anderson's provide for a 2-0 cause, but the Wimbledon final contestants group - nickname "Djokerson" thanks to a Tweets study performed by Djokovic previously in the day - split returning to tie the coordinate 2-2, and once again to go up 5-3.

"Yeah, I fought a little bit on my amount in the beginning of the first set," Auger-Aliassime told. "And I'm enjoying against the most returnee in the activity so obviously he's going to put some profits in.

"I imagine possibly we weren't as effective at the net to shut out what exactly but that's it."

Raonic, rated No. 30, too mailed to a hot begin in his coordinate, splitting Goffin for a 4-1 cause in the beginning  of game.

The early Globe No. 3, who's fought several accidents during the last two periods - such as a quad split at Wimbledon a few weeks ago - used his highly effective actually his benefits. He has taken 13 bullets to Goffin's two and won 100 % of his first-service factors.

"I believe I can still provide much better, I don't think I provided especially well," Raonic said. "So I'll take plenty of a chance to perform on several factors the next day but overall it was an excellent efficiency. Psychologically I was in the correct mind-set the whole way through I was very regimented with myself."



Raonic, of Hornbill, Ont. will within the champion of a coordinate between United states Frances Tiafoe and Italy's Marco Cecchinato in the moment circular.

Factors Chris Plank, also of Thorniness, beaten Matthew Eden of Sydney 7-6 (3), 6-4 as a answer from morning and Vancouver's Vasek Poppies and Bona Coric of France performed the delayed coordinate on center judge.
At No. 26, Shapovalov is the lead Northern America on the men's single men and women attract. He was No. 143 before last year's Rogers Cup, where he rush onto the field in Montreal with a semifinal overall look at years 18. He became onto get to the Attack of xvi at the U.S. Start a 30 days later, farther increasing up the ATP positions.

Shapovalov remained with Auger-Aliassime in Montreal during close year's competition and uncle his members of the family house for the Greater occasion, this season, but Auger-Aliassime decided for expensive hotels nearer to the ground instead.

"I didn't encourage him," Shapovalov said, forcing fun from journalists before easily adding: "No I'm joking."

"He's always welcome but my mother and father stay fairly far north so it would have been quite increase for Felix."

"Outside the enhances nowadays I've been enjoying excellent golf the last few several weeks," Auger-Altissimo said. "I've been getting some victories under my buckle so I'm sensation assured arriving into single men and women the next day."

Also Thursday, European qualifier Daniel Melded disappointed 13th-seeded Port Sock 6-3, 3-6, 6-3 in one of the three rain-interrupted mid-day suits. United states Bradley Klahn cause Spain's Bob Ferrer 7-6, 6-4 and Pierre-Hughes Herbert of Italy defeat Spaniard Jordan Ramos-Vinolas 4-6, 6-3, 6-4 in the others.





Canada's Polansky draws off excellent fall taken against Eben
He will within the champion of a coordinate between Djokovic  and  Hyeon Chung of Southern South korea in the second circular.

The 30-year-old Polansky, who is rated No. 121 on the globe, has never innovative after second circular of the Rogers Cup.

He squeaked out a success against his 52nd-ranked challenger in the first set by successful the tiebreak 7-3.

"It was actually really big," Polansky said of the tiebreak win. "He was providing excellent and I wasn't anticipating to go up by so much in the beginning."

Polansky also took a good second set, which involved a 7th activity on 7 deuces earlier Polansky organized provide.

"I imagine if I got damaged there, the strength would have completed his favor quite," Polansky said.


In other men's first-round activity, Benoit Paired of Italy fallen Jared Donaldson 6-3, 6-4 and Ilya Ivashka of Belarus beaten Yuichi Sugita of Asia 6-2, 6-3.